Mississippi Half Step, It's All Over Now, High Time, Mexicali Blues-> Big River, When Push Comes To Shove, Box Of Rain-> Don't Ease Me In
Crazy Fingers-> Uncle John's Band-> Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Jam-> I Need A Miracle-> Maggie's Farm-> Black Peter-> Around & Around-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: Black Muddy River
TV Broadcast for Farm Aid
I released a version of this matrix on December 6, 2013. I'm re-releasing it now. Why? Obviously, because I think this release represents a serious improvement over the first. Unlike in the cases of my other re-releases, however, this time I have no good excuse: I simply screwed up the first one. I apologize for inflicting it on the trading community: it's a mess. I was experimenting with new plug-ins, and things got wildly out of hand. I have instituted new quality-control mechanisms to ensure that such botched jobs don't make it into circulation in the future.
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- A night of missed cues and half-starts! Jerry tries to jump straight from "Mississippi Half-Step" to "High Time"; Bobby tries to start up "The Other One" after "Maggie's Farm," and then he tries to segue back into "Playin' in the Band" after "Black Peter."
- Q: Why do the two sets use different audience sources? A: I initially decided to use the Watson source, which I think has a nice full sound to it. I did all the prep work for the first set before discovering that the second set of the source has speed-and-pitch problems that make is less desirable than the Gidley source, which I nearly decided to use in the first place. Rather than scrapping all the work I'd done on the first set, I decided to keep it and just toss in the Gidley source for the second set. I did what I could to make the sound uniform across the sets; I think the results are pretty good.
- I used some crowd-noise from the Gidley AUD in the first set, to fill in some blanks.
- I only retain between-song crowd-noise from AUD sources. This means that some 'dead air' was cut from the SBD and some fades were added.
- Unfortunately, the SBD is riddled with problems. (1) It repeats a second or so of "High Time," which I cut. (2) There's a hum and hiss throughout, which I couldn't get rid of. It's only really noticeable between songs and on headphones, so don't worry about it too much. (3) There are various anomalies, some of which I couldn't fix. ("Box of Rain" is particularly afflicted.) I did what I could to make them as unobtrusive as possible. (4) I evened-out the levels in the second set. (5) The mix leaves something to be desired in places: Brent is too loud during "Big River"; Bobby's vocals are too loud during "Playin'"; Bobby's guitar is too loud at various places; et al. Obviously, there was little I could do about any of this.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected the SBD using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
- I ran the SBD and the Watson AUD through iZotope RX 3's Declip function.
- I converted the Gidley source from 24/48 to 16/44.1 using iZotope RX 3.
December 16, 2013
Source: Matrix 2 Source Mix - SBD (shnid=76469) Most likely SBD>PCM>DAT>CD>EAC>FLAC; Original CDs provided by Jay Serafin in 2000 + AUD (shn id 90485) taper : Joe D'Amico nak 300 mics w/cp4 shotguns > sony d-5 nak dragon tape deck > sony sbm1 > creative extigy soundcard > cool edit pro > flac frontend - matrix mixing by Kevin Tobin
Source: 3 Source Matrix from Source 1: SBD (shnid=28788) Recording Info:SBD -> Master Dat (48k); Transfer Info: Dat (Sony 500) -> Behringer UltraMatch SRC2000 -> SEK'D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude v7.02 Professional -> FLAC, Source 2: AUD (shnid=112782) Taper: Baker Master Audience: Nakamichi CM300/CP4 Shotguns > Sony D5; Transfer Maxell Metal Capsule's 100,100 > Nakamichi MR-1 > Korg MR-1000 @ 1 Bit/5.6 MHz and Source 3: AUD (shnid=87812 / shnid=13990) Source: Neumann km 82i > Sonosax SX-PR power supply > Sony TCD D10 PRO II DAT x1; Recorded by Jim Birkhead / Taper Section, left of SBD Cloned (January 1997): Casio DA-7 > Panasonic SV-3700;